- Privacy generally
In collecting, holding, using, disclosing and otherwise managing your personal information, EarthTech will comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act.
- Kinds of personal information collected
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual.EarthTech is a social enterprise which connects impact ventures with impact investors and other major organisations, including via the EarthTech Impact Investment Platform (Platform). During the provision of our services, or as a result of our other interactions or dealings with you, EarthTech may collect your personal information.
The kinds of personal information that EarthTech collects will vary depending on our particular interaction or dealing with you. However, generally speaking, the kinds of personal information EarthTech collects may include:
- your contact information such as your name, address, telephone number, email address and date of birth;
- information regarding your preferences regarding our products and services (including information regarding your investment preferences);
- if you are a person or entity with an impact venture, information about you or the relevant impact venture, including such information that you submit to us or make available to us (including via the Platform);
- if you are an impact investor, information about you or your impact investment preferences or interests including such information that you submit to us or make available to us (including via the Platform);
EarthTech also collects internet/technology related information from visitors to our site or users of our other online services, including the referring URL, your IP address, which browser you used to come to the site, the country, state or province, the pages of our site that you viewed during your visit and any search terms entered on our site.
EarthTech may also collect other kinds of personal information as permitted or required by law or other kinds of personal information that we notify you of at or about the time of collection.
Generally, we do not collect sensitive information about individuals. Information about your health, racial or ethnic origin, political persuasions, criminal record and religious or philosophical beliefs are all examples of sensitive information. If we do need to collect sensitive information about you, we will only do so with your consent or where we are required or permitted to do so by law.
- How we collect personal information
Generally, EarthTech collects your personal information directly from you. For example, EarthTech may collect your personal information:
- when you register to use the Platform, request information or services from us, or otherwise provide us with your details;
- where you use the Platform or our other websites or online services or otherwise interact with us;
- where you enter into, or propose to enter into, a transaction with us;
- when you complete a survey or provide us with your investment preferences; or
- if you post information to the Platform, our websites or any of our social media sites.
There may be occasions when EarthTech collects your personal information from someone other than you, for example:
- from other users of the Platform, for example from impact investors or impact ventures who you interact with via the Platform;
- from our other service providers that help us provide our services;
- from third parties you authorise to disclose your information to us; and
- from a publicly maintained record or other publicly available sources of information including social media and similar websites.
Generally, EarthTech will only collect your personal information from sources other than you if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect that personal information from you.
- Purposes for which personal information is used
Generally speaking, EarthTech collects and uses personal information so that we can provide you with our services (including access to and use of the Platform). Some examples of the purposes for which EarthTech collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information include to:
- enable us to supply you with information you request from us;
- assist you to register on the Platform, submit information to the Platform and otherwise access and use the Platform;
- facilitate the supply of services to you, including communicating with and registering our services for you;
- provide our services to you or a particular feature that you request to you;
- deliver updates, sponsored content and promotional communications;
- assess our goods or services (including asking you for your opinions on our charitable efforts and services and carrying out user surveys) or to conduct other market research;
- undertake direct marketing (as detailed in paragraph 5 below);
- analyse information we collect so that we can administer, support, improve and develop our business and the services we offer (including by monitoring or recording our interactions with you for training purposes);
- protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
In addition to the purposes listed above, EarthTech may use your personal information for other purposes which we notify you of when we collect the information and for purposes otherwise permitted or required by law.
Where personal information is used or disclosed, EarthTech takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure it is relevant to the purpose for which it is to be used or disclosed. You are under no obligation to provide your personal information to EarthTech. However, without certain information from you, EarthTech may not be able to provide services or information to you or may be limited in how we can interact with you.
- Direct marketing
- Disclosure of personal information
- employees and officers of EarthTech, and related companies of EarthTech;
- service providers and contractors and other third parties that provide goods or services to us (including our technology service providers, our business consultants, risk, compliance and identification verification companies, or other business or administration service providers);
- people or entities considering acquiring an interest in EarthTech or any business or asset of EarthTech;
- other parties who invest in or acquire an interest in EarthTech or any business or asset of EarthTech; and
- government authorities and other entities where required by law.
EarthTech may also disclose your personal information for other purposes if we notify you of the disclosure at or about the time of collecting the information, we have otherwise received your consent or the disclosure is required or authorised by law.
If you post information or other content to public sections of our website or to our social media sites, you acknowledge that the information or content may be viewed by the public and/or users of the relevant website or social media site.
- Overseas disclosures
Some of the parties that EarthTech discloses your personal information to may be located outside Australia, including technology service providers and related companies of EarthTech.We take reasonable steps to ensure that any such overseas recipients do not hold, use or disclose your personal information in a way that is inconsistent with the obligations imposed under the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act.
- Links to other websites
- Security of personal information
EarthTech takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information it holds is protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.EarthTech holds personal information in electronic forms in secured databases on secured premises, accessible only with the appropriate passwords by authorised staff.
The processes and systems we use to secure your personal information include:
- the use of identity and access management technologies to control access to systems on which information is processed and stored;
- requiring employees to comply with internal information security policies and keep information secure; and
- requiring employees to complete training about information security.
Your personal information will be kept on databases held on servers kept in a physically and technologically secured environment, accessed only by authorised personnel or contractors. Where personal information is held in hard copy, it will be held in controlled, access restricted premises which only authorised personnel or contractors will be permitted to access.
EarthTech will destroy or de-identify personal information in circumstances where it is no longer required, unless EarthTech is otherwise required or authorised by law to retain the information.
- Access and correction
EarthTech takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure personal information it holds is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.In addition, under the Privacy Act, you have a right to seek access to and correction of your personal information that is collected and held by EarthTech. If at any time you would like to access or correct the personal information that EarthTech holds about you, or you would like more information on EarthTech’s approach to privacy, please contact the EarthTech Privacy Officer using the details set out in paragraph 12 below. EarthTech will grant access to the extent required or authorised by the Privacy Act or other law and take steps reasonable in the circumstances to correct personal information where necessary and appropriate.
To obtain access to your personal information:
- you will have to provide proof of identity to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected;
- EarthTech requests that you be reasonably specific about the information you require; and
- EarthTech may charge you a reasonable administration fee, which reflects and will not exceed the cost to EarthTech for providing access in accordance with your request.
EarthTech will endeavour to respond to your request to access or correct your personal information within 30 days from your request. If EarthTech refuses your request to access or correct your personal information, EarthTech will provide you with written reasons for the refusal and details of complaint mechanisms.
If you are dissatisfied with EarthTech’s refusal to grant access to, or correct, your personal information, you may make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
- Contacting EarthTech
For further information or enquiries regarding your personal information, or if you would like to opt-out of receiving any promotional or marketing communications or make a privacy complaint, please contact EarthTech’s Privacy Officer using any of the following contact details:
Post: [253 David low Way, Peregian Beach, Qld, 4573
- Privacy complaints
Please direct all privacy complaints to EarthTech’s Privacy Officer. At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously;
- will be dealt with promptly;
- will be dealt with in a confidential manner; and
- will not affect your existing obligations or affect the commercial arrangements between you and EarthTech.
EarthTech will endeavour to acknowledge your complaint within  days of receipt and endeavour to resolve it within  days, unless EarthTech informs you otherwise and seeks your agreement in writing.
The EarthTech Privacy Officer will commence an investigation into your complaint. You will be informed of the outcome of your complaint following completion of the investigation. In the event that you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, or an extension to the time in which EarthTech will resolve it, you may refer the complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
The contact details for the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner are:
Phone: 1300 363 992
Mail: Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001